Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Light Bearing My Candles

Light Bearing My Candles
"The candle in my practice is not an accessory as it seems to be to many other witches. I don't take it quite as seriously as some do, yet it is a central part of my practice. For me, the candle is usually given a very strong emphasis in ritual because of the action of bringing light into the sacred space is a sacred act. I'm not one who believes that whispering a few words over candles brings about catastrophic and powerful energy, I believe the candle is a symbolic vehicle for the transition from nothing to something, from dark to light and all the revelations in-between. Bringing light into the ritual or charm, whatever rite it may be, symbolizes not only my connection to Brighid as one of the three most prevalent spiritual relationships of my life, but my kinship to the bridge, the gate, or the doorway that stands between the worlds. Fire illuminates the truth, destroys barriers and warms the circle. I remember the first time I started reading pagan literature as a child and being a little confused by why candle magic and candle energy was so important to the look "of the circle. I knew it was important on a spiritual level; my mother lit candles on the altar to guide the spirits, mi tia would light the yellow candles of the "offerenda", tia Magda left a white Papa Elegua candle burning in the center of the house when we complained of fearful presences passing through the home. I understood the candle as it brought illumination to the dark and those who pass through the darkness. But I didn't understand why so many books seemed to view candles as some accessory to witchyness or as the most important

When I light the candle, it does act as an accessory for a circle or rite, it acts as the torch that lights the way. Choosing colors for candles and "dressing them" (anointing them with specific oils and herbs to empower them) is important for my practice because I anoint and rub nearly everything I use ritualistically with herbs, oils or infused salts, sometimes all three. The point of the dressing is the ceremony of scents and textures that heightens the senses and brings focus. The process itself, the time it takes and the thought you put into it arouses the inner most sensitivities, lightens the mind by focus and purifies you energy. At least, that's what I've chosen to believe, what is believed through my family and through my spiritual group. I like the illumination, the glowing, the peace, the serenity. It makes a huge difference in my connection. Just having it around, in sunlight or darkness, reminds me of that special bond to it I've had since my childhood, which is magical enough.

"

bringing light and illumination to the altar is special; it is the beacon lit once daily to remind myself of the ever-presence of the divine and the spirits of life and death."

When consecrating candles, I use the same basic steps almost every time. The incense blend used for them is a blend used in my household my entire life for purifying rooms: lavender, sage, sweet-grass and cedar. For candles used only in special circumstances and for very specific rituals, the blend of incense used to cense the candles is a mix of: Venus, ghost resin, black opium and sage. The anointing oil changed from a blend I bought from a local oil maker to my own oil: lemon balm, mugwort, lavender oil, grapeseed oil, cedar and peppermint. After the initial dressing and carving, I rub my candles in infused hand collected sea salt, usually containing ground herb powders in the salt jars: rosemary and anise mostly. How one dresses a candle depends entirely on them, and their preferences. There is no set standard to consecrating anything, let alone candles, so it's important to do what feels right and not what you're told to do.

"

Choosing colors is for you, and for the benefit of the present spirits. I adore black candles, only because they are a beautiful combination of dark and light. Black is such an overrated color in witchcraft, and I don't use them every day, only during the dark moon or rituals for the Morrighan or for Cailleach."