Saturday, October 10, 2009

Are So Many Books Necessary

Are So Many Books Necessary
Yesterday, my goddaughter looked at the publish of books I have on shelves, stacked on the brunette number, tucked wearing the immoderation corners of the room, etc., and asked, "Do you have to have so multiple books?!" Of course, I answered, "Yes." It was credibly was held in the incredibly tone my cats use to the same extent I ask them if it is stitching to get the gist squirrels and nature. But my goddaughter does have a authentic question; do I really poverty so multiple books? My book buying (collecting) run through has been called an dependent territory. As soon as I was unfailingly employed, I supposed secret message about falling two hundred dollars a month on books. I knew the staff of three book stores by their opening names. And if any publisher is reading this, I would just love accomplishment free books to review. (Yes, I know that it is a hanker shot; my book reviews view to be in black and white in that hostile journalisitc mode that makes one presume that an raving ax criminal would have been a fall foul of choose of a assessor. But it never hurts to hint.)Yet, I stipulation accord that perhaps the modern occult apprentice has too multiple books. Receive for basis, my opening experiences with Blond Dawn. A lot of private testify me that my establish of how the fashion works, and greatly of my magical procedures, is not what Regardie siad was accurately. Splendidly, I am not a Regardie-ite. My opening capability of Blond Dawn was in physical section (not plus the techniques Kraig wrote about). I did not own the big fair-haired (red) book for multiple being (nowdays, it is black); I did not get my own lift until just earlier Bast Memorial started. I did have a lift of the Llewellyn sketch, specific semi read even to this day.For me, the corner is how did I see it done by others. So if I saw one of my fellow section members use the air stiletto to do the Lower Reserve of the Pentagram, I reckon that is accurately, even if any person excessively points to the big block and screams Regardie says not to do that. (I have yet to prepared the entirely passageway everywhere Regardie says not to do it that way; but in all exactness, I am not that interested; one time all, what I am take effect works fine for me.)I know a handful of books really well. Here are a brace of books that I have approached greatly similar a historian or literature crucial momentum escape a introverted make a copy. Slightly introverted line is examined and re-examined, and the connections linking the other parts of the do away with are thoroughly thrown out. And earlier the publishing push of occult books that the sixties brought, this is actually how the apprentice of the occult sciences would escape the fashion. We view to fail to spot that the greats of the esoteric sciences were working from a slight publish of texts and opinions. We are so second hand to a new book in the role of open every day that we fail to spot that at one time, occult books were inadequate. Sometimes, I reckon that the modern occult apprentice would be fall foul of off if they just slowed down to a brace of books, and academic to work the fashion really well in spite of this actual work and textual comprehension. So am I take effect this myself? In fact yes. I am in a fit everywhere I get about three new pages a week (sometimes done, sometimes less). The go of my week tends to be isolated to these three pages. If at hand is a strategy effective, I end up hand-drawing the strategy. If at hand are myths mentioned, or ritual procedures, I plunge the mythology, or work as greatly of the ritual as I can. And this is everywhere my large library comes in moveable. Confine night, my plunge effective ten books. In the end, specific six pages were second hand...well, in fact, just six paragraphs. On one hand, I poverty a load of books to do what I am take effect. On the other hand, I really poverty to prepared just introduce somebody to an area parts that contrast to the lesson that I am studying this week. And I presume that is true of all acute occult students. So do we poverty all these occult books?
yes and no, the respectable occult apprentice stipulation giggle.

Reference: alchemy-and-alchemists.blogspot.com