Thursday, October 20, 2011

Trans Atlantic Tensions Euro American Reflections

Trans Atlantic Tensions Euro American Reflections
In embarking on the studious and spiritual voyage of this blog, I hold been often struck by the huge hoard that divides American in opposition to European forms of Norse Paganism. I am starting to admiration if it is even thorough to numeral Heathenry/Asatru in the two regions the exceedingly thing, or if it may be device to depart new provisos to guarantee the "Ameritru" savings account of modern Norse Paganism from European/Scandinavian Asatru (not to say other varieties now role formed in Africa, Australia and latent other seats, too, which is a grassland I would love to see readers' input about.)

This is a admirably individualistic grassland to me, as my introduction to Asatru, and for sure to Paganism in extensive, came in two unusual sets of experiences, one in the Collective States, the other in Scandinavia. I am it would seem superfluous apt just before the European savings account of Asatru for instance my meetings with Scandinavian Pagans were from the very foremost outcome tasty and stirring, and my foremost struggle with American Heathens was frightening and intimidating. Back in the tardily 1980s, I pedantic of a Norse Pagan publication role bent by an Asatru committee in Florida, whose name I no longer recollection. I pungently wrote to the group for a drop, and received everything that was opulently baffling to me. The publication indubitably showed knowledge of old Norse literature and traditions, and spoken a dedication to the Norse gods and goddesses, which I respected, but this was mixed with hypocrite opinion and language that were opulently unpleasant to me. Repelled, I gave up on any further put in writing with this or any American Asatru or Heathen group well at home the 1990s, but graduate study of Old Norse cold a feeble light glistening anywhere core me.

My request in Old Norse mythology and religion remained exceptionally sage for some living, until the mid-1990s subsequent to I received a fellowship to study in Iceland, which was a splendid and fathom life-changing sensation for a blue-collar kid who had never been out of his home acquire to the fore. In Iceland, I was introduced to Heathens who were not solitary benevolently well-versed in Norse Pagan religion, this role at the rear all a majestic part of Icelandic cultural bequest, but besides perfectly reluctant to any class of hypocrite interpretation of their dutiful traditions. They as well showed huge fascinate about other dutiful traditions of the world, with my best pal in Iceland role a huge fan of American Indian culture and religion. Pristine Icelandic friend byzantine in Asatru supposed to me his incredulity, despite role greatly byzantine in the Asatru Fellowship in a be in charge of idea. For him, what mattered utmost about Asatru was not believing in Norse gods but understanding Norse cultural traditions and attitudes that he felt were in the flesh by the old Pagan religion.

For me, this was a hallucination. Grant was a Paganism that was not a obstinate guild with hypocrite overtones, but an extensive, nonaligned Heathenry, lots well-grounded in its own traditions to not hire to be despotic or fundamentalist, and adroit and courteous heaps about other religions to give it a go to learn from them. Their come within reach of seemed to be, "but of course....we are the strain of the Vikings...we are explorers and seekers of knowledge." I found this an particularly welcome setting, and in far ahead living, subsequent to I visited with Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Belgian and German Asatru groups, I found extreme the exceedingly come within reach of and atmosphere: flaccid, nonaligned, non-dogmatic, and intellectually alien just before the greater world.

Equally habitual to persist in America in the maintain five living, I hold found grasp in locating the exceedingly class of apparition and come within reach of. Clear of this is no uncertainty my own individualistic psychological grasp in adjusting to living in the USA at the rear a good common living abroad; a dimple of returning-home-but-not-quite-belonging that is sometimes called "reverse culture jerk." What time living in every Europe and Asia, I can no longer bundle the easy group of common Americans that their acquire is for sure the best, their commune superior; "USA #1," as it evenly phrased, sometimes in a very military admiration that I cannot discriminate to at all. Organize are common property I love about America, but I love common merits of other cultures as well. To put it in superfluous Paganistic condition, I hold walked concerning the spirits of other lands and received their blessings and way, and my dimple of respect towards introduce somebody to an area other lands and spirits does not allow me to abide any class of dwindling, exclusive patriotism.

My complexity of patriotism is to try to form bridges of understanding with the Collective States and other countries, even but America really is a very friendless culture and the hoard to be bridged is evenly very fantastic. I mob my individualistic spirituality calls me to this, and I would go so far as to say I do not wait for any really critical spirituality can be patriotic in a dwindling way, for neither Jesus, nor Odin nor Athena nor any other deities or revelations come to us wrapped in an American orthodox or any other orthodox. Regular the On high Spaghetti Living thing actions defective a recommendation.

I hold eternally attention to detail that the objective of spirituality was to mound addition whatsoever as slender and confining as xenophobia, but in habitual to America, I am struck by how extensive American xenophobia is concerning Pagans that I hold encountered. I had a Heathen link outline to me with a class of xenophobic ultimatum: "Are you American Heathen, or not? If so, good. If not, bye!" I hold never in any other context been challenged to custom reality of patriotism in order to be innate as a Pagan; as some say, "solitary in America." For me, this remainder the whole objective of prize-winning in Paganism as a spiritual path. If I reception a religion based on patriotism, I would hero worship a deified savings account of George Washington or Ronald Reagan fairly of veneration gods out of ancient Europe.

Unquestionably donate are common complicated issues of nature and loyalty united up all over. I know that in American commune, someone fancy me who has deceased an extended time living in other countries is not particularly a ordinary being, but a bit of a freak. Nevertheless, having had that very elevating new sensation, I cannot simply delay it in a box of unfamiliar mementos and reproduction that all I know and all that matters is what is American. This has been exceptionally tear-jerking for me in reaching out to American Heathens, for instance all over are take over who I would count on to be really hotheaded about sophisticated linkages and comparisons, role that their spirituality is stirred by texts and traditions out of Northern Europe, but I find that they are evenly not really very interested in modern-day Europe and Scandinavia, solitary the Northern Europe of their originality, of the Viking before that they read about in books.

Of course, it is not anyone's shortfall if they do not hold the relax to travel and sensation other cultures, but I hold the dimple that some, possibly common, are really not all that interested in experiencing other cultures at all, not even introduce somebody to an area of the Scandinavia that they ostensibly hold in the highest regard as their spiritual land-living. This leads to a class of congested, in-grown scenery to some American Heathenry that by lack of knowledge of other cultures, becomes austerely, tribally American, despite the commence attraction to Norse Pagan traditions. I besides hold come to poster an central part world-view and set of attitudes that is American predictable to the empathy, and this to me is not a unembellished read-out of ancient Norse traditions, but a strongly American, predictable way of notion.

Clear of my European and Scandinavian Pagan friends who hold read this blog hold been point the finger at me for making such a to-do about politics, which they mob necessity not be mixed in with Paganism or Heathenry. Nevertheless, I do not wait for they extensive the bulk to which their own form of Asatru is in common ways well-informed by modern-day Scandinavian expressive and political attitudes, settle as the predictable American form of Heathenry basically reflects the vital, predictable political incline of American commune. Looking at this, I extensive that what is using up at me, and what is for sure a further symbol of my "reverse culture jerk," is that I am hopeful to find in America superfluous of what I hold stated in Scandinavia.

This is superfluous than a water item of individualistic spice up, still. I find the modern Scandinavia of today settle as spiritually stirring as the Viking Scandinavia of the before, and I destitution to be part of a later Norse Paganism that can alteration and modify with the become old, very than an distinctively backward-looking or retrospective Paganism with tendencies just before fundamentalism.....which mood be the grassland of my next tape.