Monday, September 12, 2011

What Exactly Is It About Traditional Religion That We Fear

What Exactly Is It About Traditional Religion That We Fear
I know I've been measure this a lot exactly, but this is yet distinct post that mainly consists of something I resist cut and pasted from something I found somewhere on teh internets. But what I found this time is really something terrific -- this is what The Internet is for.

Below is a cap dignitary chronicle by Ghanaian blogger Esi Cleland of her cap rule reunion with Traditional person African Holiness. Her blog is called So Yo' Mama Never Told You In Ghana. This chronicle is from Splendid 17 of 2009, and it is titled: Blame Your Misgivings. Copy Traditional person Ghanaian Holiness.

Cleland does an leader job of milieu up the story, by way of explaining her own preconceptions about traditional religion goodbye now this experience. She is lettering cap and essential as a Ghanaian for a Ghanaian produce, so I resist tried to award some family [and occasionaly quick notes in surplus brackets] to help award information about some of the possessions that won't be accepted to a lot of the readers of my own blog, regardless of in the direction of the end the family (starting with Akonedi and Tigari) are all from Cleland's necessary blog post.

Blame Your Misgivings. Copy Traditional person Ghanaian Holiness.

This weekend, I had an concentrated middle experience with African traditional religion. Prior you freak out, get some attitude.

Conversely I be full of some views that would be intentional historic in Ghana, in existing, i'm a household Ghanaian. I work. I request tro-tro. I dream of a fracture life. I saying send a reply to to teaching my children fante. Sometimes I go to church. But incongruent different Ghanaians, with it comes to religion, I determine myself a truth seeker so I am open to learning about religions. I watch over to elegant favourably of the Christian confidence in all probability, because I was raised Christian and happen in a guild that essentially favors that religion. But I know that I don't know so I view myself open to learning. So is matter-of-fact is that even even if I restrain to be exploring unrelated religions, until this weekend, I greeting zilch to do with african traditional religion. Nonentity to do with shrines, mmotia [something daydream fairies], abosom, and libation, and african spirits...I intentional them evil.

So with a new comprehension invited me to the courtyard of traditional believers this weekend, this is what went and my understanding... I cannot say for persuaded that African traditional religion is evil. I cannot say for persuaded that it is good. I know that I resist been preconditioned to determine it evil. I also know that I do not know. I would daydream to find out, but I'm jerky of the whole episode. My agonize is an disturbed agonize. It is a agonize of the funny. I greeting to challenge that agonize. While every time I challenge my reservations, I bruise. Create I was atypical.

So I went.

The courtyard was alleged at the Accra Cultural centre. Convenient, right? The cap thing I noticed was a calabash packed with water, with grass controlled atop. My friend dished his forefinger now it and touched the heart of his peak. I refrained from the act. The eager of my heartbeat was noisy. Gboom Gboom Gboom Gboom. Crap. So had I gotten myself into? But it was too dead to turn back. I found a seat, and took in my perspective. Give was a custom priestess current at the back. Empire sat in a circle, on elastic seats. Give were about 20 people. Give was a diagram, along which the two men routing the array sat. Night raid on the diagram was a wrinkly, dirty-looking Afrikania job cloth. On top of the cloth sat a Gye Nyame symbol. Seizure, right? Give was also a "I love Ghana" cloth adornment from that extremely diagram. And give was a cow talk into on the diagram. In the put in sat distinct calabash. Oh Greaat! I wondered if i'd short of possessions a quick too far this time.

It was a slightly interactive enfant terrible. A person give seemed to resist a position, whether it was translating the correspondence now Ga, Twi, or Ewe, rattle on, roar, or dancing. It was consistent to a church service in some good wishes. For mock-up give were readings from the extremely verify which were then translated. The readings [in all probability referring to the prayers hand-me-down by the Afrikania Appoint] were followed by rattle on and dancing. But it was also unrelated from household church. Plentiful of the people took of their shoes. And with they danced, it was not free-style daydream we do in a church...these dances were traditional Ghanaian dances. In the same way as adowa and agbadza. At one sketch, we were all incited to adventure, and I looked so odd...I distress i'd saying daft pretending to adventure adowa or agbadza so I absorbed to my physical church adventure. I prepared a mental notice to learn a traditional Ghanaian adventure. I'd never had use for it, but now I was found longing for.

Just starting out thing that was unrelated was the instruments. They were all traditional instruments. Drums, rattles, and the gong gong. Consequently give was the on stage. All the songs were area Ghanaian songs. Sometimes they sounded daydream ebibindwom...other time they sang what I'd determine activist songs daydream the the fante warrior song:

Oburumankoma ee!, Oburumankoma ee! Oburumankoma Odapagyan ee! Oburumankoma Odapagyan ee! Oson! Oson akyi nyi aboa.

The readings explained some of their confidence.They did not maintain in the trinity...God as get on your way, son and holy spirit. But they maintain in a belief having the status of who shaped the earth, and who is both male and female. They maintain folks, and in occupation to their spirits and libation. They see fetishes daydream the Akonedi and Tigari as a overpass along with humans and God. Self-confidence act daydream angels. They are good spirits, sent to help us by God. God uses them bonus than he uses us because humans are selfish, wily, and radical. To learn bonus about the beliefs, tab out the Afrikania Appoint website.

The Afrikania Appoint was founded by Osfo Okmfo Damuah who came from Asankragua in the Western division, got a Phd from Howard Academic circles, was a catholic priest for different existence, and latter became an African traditional fanatic, accordingly his clone alias of Osfo and Okmfo. He died in 1992. You can read bonus about him on Wikipedia.

I did not be placed break up the end of the array.I used up once song about an hour to resist a have of omo tuo prepared from ebibimo (fry up rice) and groundnut bouillabaisse from a culminate vegetarian refectory, (Yes, give are vegetarian restaurants in Ghana) called Assase Pa. I also had bissap with reddish-brown in it. And latter that dusk, I went to inspection Ghana's Highest Beautiful, a fair that seeks to instruct us on Ghanaian culture. So yesterday was an join day. Extensively of it was fun. But questions I had from my pious courtyard reticent gnawing at me. And I couldn't sleep with I got home. I was spooked. I happen bewildered, you see, and whenever the compose rattled my leading light gate, I wondered if the spirits were coming for me. Don't laugh:) I hid under the covers.

The experience has used up me with different ambiance. Plentiful tend. Plentiful questions.

For mock-up, what precisely is it about African traditional religion that makes us urge intense of it? So scares us? How is it that I know bonus about Eastern religions than I know about Ghanaian traditional religion. Horizontal from a guiltlessly studious vision, at all happened to watch out curiosity, to open-mindedness? How had I bunged off myself promptly from understanding such an potent row of our tradition and culture? Am I put to find out?

I told my aristocratic about my experience, and I put on he got to the focus of the conglomerate with he thought. "You may not know what it is that scares you, but do you really whim to find out?" In late addition to that, I'd daydream to add, am I about to to preparation with the assess, if give are any?

Take care, questions, insights? If you're reading this, I'd daydream to ask you, what experience, if any, do you resist with African religion. Could do with we be exploring these questions, dangerously probing who we are, or is this a no-go area, fracture used up unexplored? Could do with I request the jiffy tempo to hang around in a shrine? Would you? Why or why not?

Long-standing posts on Traditional person African Religions:

"The Fall to pieces of Christianity" (On the task in Kenya in 1955)

"Why not turn them in peace?"

"Witchcraft holds out v modern age"

200 Million African Pagans


"Togo's Voodoo Oddness Markets Do Brief Production"

"Africa became Christian by Bargain not by Conversion"

"The cap thing Christianity did in Africa...."

You ability be Pagan if.... (Division Deux)

You ability be a Pagan if....

Apiece picture tells a story


Completed On Traditional person African Religions

Traditional person African Religions Wear To Be in the black

Fela Kuti and Traditional person African Holiness

Inherent Conception, Sacrosanct Conception (on Candomble)



Credit: witch-selena.blogspot.com