Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Book Review The Time Keeper

Book Review The Time Keeper
TITLE: The Time Keeper

AUTHOR: Mitch Albom

PAGES: Ebook 202

SUMMARY: The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, with his soul nearly broken, Father Time is granted his freedom, along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.

He returns to our world--now dominated by the hour-counting he so innocently began--and commences a journey with two unlikely partners: one a teenage girl who is about to give up on life, the other a wealthy old businessman who wants to live forever. To save himself, he must save them both. And stop the world to do so.

MY RATING: 8.75/10

WHAT I LIKED/DISLIKED ABOUT THE BOOK: This was a very interesting read, one which I almost never thought I would read, as I initially thought some of the religious undertones in the book, may not be something I'd enjoy. While there still was a lot of that there, I did find I enjoyed the book quite a lot, it was a good read, and sometimes hard to put down.

How the author choose to tell the story, was one of my favourite aspects of the books. Short, verses may be the best way to describe it. While telling the story this way did cause the story to jump around more and at times you weren't getting the whole story from all the threads from the individual stories, I think it added to the reading experience as a whole. The writing as a whole was also well done, the story connected together, and the narrative was probably one of the factors that made the book hard to put down.

There were also some interesting commentary and passages about time, and how society handles it. There was a lot of philosophical points, and spiritual too, depending how you read into it, but I didn't find it was overly preachy - just some interesting, food for thought the author made throughout the book. I did find the ending was a bit abrupt. Part of that was due to how the story was told, but it was tied up quickly, and even a few more paragraphs would have helped give it that extra push.

Overall, a very enjoyable read, I have to say the book surprised me on how much I enjoyed it.

WOULD I RECOMMEND IT TO READ: I would. This type of book, with the religious undertones not normally my thing, but it was a very interesting read, and I know there will be a lot of readers who would love the book.

WHAT TO READ NEXT: I'd say some of the authors other works

CHALLENGES: 12 in 12