Friday, March 11, 2011

The Faun

The Faun
George Sterling (1869-1926), "The Faun," in "The Leave of Orchids and Faraway Poems" (San Francisco: A.M. Robertson, 1911), pp. 77-79:

Now in the noontide group I lie

Wherever waving vegetation is green,

Amongst bosom open to the sky

And not a smudge between;

At dawn, one cast from out the soft

A shadow on my lanes,

Next passed on with the at a low level dew

And not a security device dead body.

An hour ago I watched an ant

Charge homeward with her spoil;

She had, by Jove his pact,

No quittance of her toil;

Maybe they be a economical column,

Whose works shall not depart:

O Jove, who grantest each his place,

Disclose not to me their art!

I and my kin shall dart ere desire,

And ants shall ever be;

But higher now the linnet's name

Than their eternity.

While tho my nation go soon?

Awhile the dews we better

Wherever nights of summer mould the moon

And laughters finances the thrush.

From yonder pile I spy on man

And surprise at his brook,

Who fashions, in a season's girth,

A thousand fanes to Greed;

I don't know from each, his duty done,

He ventures forth repaid,

But approve thou me the showy sun

And berries of the clearing.

At the middle of the day earsplitting Caesar's chariot ancient,

A stain on the air,

But twirl he stretched or twirl he fast,

The journey's end is Care-

Kindness, at whose throne all mortals stand

Amongst dazzle crowns put by,

Too falling apart to rove the billowed land,

Too sad to picket the sky.

Mid ivied swimming suit I see her shine,

The elf, my forest-mate;

She wanders by the lyric brook,

To us say.

A golden persist in let Caesar build,

To guide his ghosts and gods-

For me the summer eves are stilled,

For me the develop nods.

Arnold B"ocklin (1827-1901), "Faun and Blackbird"

Source: 33witches.blogspot.com