Sunday, June 27, 2010

Midnight Mass On Christmas Eve

Midnight Mass On Christmas Eve
I liked the white plants,

the white robes of the priests,

the high-pitched music

from the choir up the back.

I liked the wafting incense,

borne up the pavement

in metal dishes

on vacillation chains.

I liked the Latin: 'Adeste Fidelis'

excellent sonorous by far

than 'O Build on All Ye Constant,

'Dominum' than 'Christ the Member of the aristocracy.

I liked the postponed hour, the dark,

the magic of midnight;

my Catholic cousins
' passion,

the festive, dressed-up send away.

I was raised Agnostic,

streamed Protestant at school

for requisite Office Ed.,

and destruction up Pagan.

Was it Midnight Odds and ends

gave me my hint for robes and ritual,

music, incense, extraneous words?

(Not more willingly what guise had in dispute.)

30 Poems in 30 Time, 2010: 23

Prompt: A poem that takes place at a individuals crowd

Reference: lilith-dark-moon.blogspot.com